First the Basics: LDN 101

"LDN" (low dose naltrexone) is an "alternative" medication used with surprising success in treating immune disorders, both autoimmune and immune deficient. Taken orally at bedtime, LDN works by briefly blocking opiate receptors, thereby "tricking" the body into increasing endorphin production. Endorphins being a central part of the immune system, increasing their production has been shown to help correct immune defects.

4/3/14

How to get a prescription for LDN



LDN is a prescription item. People email me and message me from time to time, asking how I got my LDN and where they too might acquire a prescription for some. I might have some POSSIBLE resources, but certainly can’t guarantee anything. 
Anyway, I thought I’d just post what I know here so folks can see it for themselves and not have to wait for a response from me each time.
FIRST, MY FAMILY DOC
 I initially got my LDN prescription from my family doctor, a veritable SAINT in whose office I had been working for years before my diagnosis. In addition, she and I were (and still are) good friends, so naturally she knew me MUCH better than she knew most of her patients. The point being that she knew she could trust me with responsibility more than she might risk trusting an average patient.  
She finally prescribed LDN for me, but only after I first researched and printed up concise, credible info on LDN for her. And after I gave her plenty of time to look through it. I suggest you do this too, at least for your doctors. Your concerned friends and family members might want some info too.
Obviously physicians already know all about Naltrexone itself, but most have never even heard of a protocol that uses such minute doses as 3mg or 4.5 mg. My doc knew I was (and am) literally allergic to all opiates, so there was no possible risk of untoward interactions since I wouldn’t EVER be taking any opiates.
She was also aware that I was NOT open to trying any more of the conventional medications, after nightmarish experiences with both Interferon and Copaxone.  So whether she prescribed LDN for me or not, I wouldn’t be taking anything else for MS, therefore her providing it would not keep me from trying something more conventional.
See, many doctors are understandably concerned about prescribing or OK’ing alternative medications and therapies for things like MS because they don’t want to enable you to avoid taking something that standard medical practice would assume might be more effective.
Basically, my doctor agreed that taking LDN would be harmless to me at the very least, so she wrote the prescription and I was set. Since I saw her every day at work, SHE saw how much better I felt, and was quickly an LDN fan.
THE SUPER BUSY OTONEUROLOGIST
Unfortunately, a couple of years later, she moved hundreds of miles across Texas :o( and I had to look elsewhere for someone to write my LDN prescription. At that point, my otoneurologist took over. I’d been seeing him for years for my chronic labyrinthitis, and fortunately he was open to alternative treatments. Plus he wasn’t being asked to START me on LDN because I’d been on it for years; he was just picking up the prescribing chores from my departed family doc, and he was glad to do it.
Unfortunately I can’t refer everyone to him, because he is already so outrageously busy that it takes from 6 months to almost a year to get an appointment, maybe longer for a new patient appointment. And no, he does NOT do phone consults. so what to do?
HOW ABOUT YOUR DOCTOR?
I strongly suggest that you try to get your own doctor acquainted with LDN and see if you can’t get him or her to let you try it. Get the information together in a concise way and at least TRY.
No dice? OK, here are some suggestions; I sincerely hope something works for you. If you have luck getting someone to prescribe LDN for you, would you please let me know? Thanks!
POSSIBLE LINKS TO PRESCRIBING DOCTORS
First, check out the following link from The Compounder Pharmacy in Aurora, Illinois. They compound my LDN, and have some resources that hopefully will link you to some doctors who prescribe LDN. They've always been very nice and very efficient. http://www.thecompounder.com/alternative-treatments/autoimmune/low-dose-naltrexone/find-a-doctor-for-ldn.
Next, try a link to the LDN Research Trust; whose motto is “Committed to trials of LDN as a treatment for autoimmune diseases". Sounds good, huh? I don’t know if it’s up to date, but their website says has a list of LDN-prescribing doctors around the world. It's a short list and a big world, so you see the odds. Still, maybe worth a try. http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/node/147. Like I said, I have NO IDEA whether the list is even remotely current or at all helpful, so please don't get your hopes up too far, but give it a try.
Finally,  here's list of recommended pharmacies that have a good track record of compounding LDN properly. They really all OUGHT to know of doctors who prescribe LDN, and some of these docs might even do phone consults, but those consults might cost a small fortune… hopefully not.

Pharmacies that are known to be 

reliable compounders of LDN:

Pharmacy
Phone
Fax
Irmat Pharmacy, New York, NY
Belmar Pharmacy, Lakewood, CO
The Compounder Pharmacy, Aurora, IL
The Pharmacy Shop and
Compounding Center, Canandaigua, NY
McGuff Compounding Pharmacy,
Santa Ana, CA
(714) 438-0536
(877) 444-1133
(877) 444-1155
Skip's Pharmacy, Boca Raton, FL
(561) 218-0111
(800) 553-7429
(561) 218-8873
Smith's Pharmacy, Toronto, Canada
(416) 488-2600
(800) 361-6624
(416) 484-8855
Dickson Chemist, Glasgow, Scotland
+44-141-647-8032
+44-800-027-0673
+44-141-647-8032

Locating a doctor who will prescribe LDN, or any alternative therapy, might be a complex and frustrating search. PLEASE try your best to keep your sense of humor and be patient. I think you'll find someone to help you if you HANG IN THERE. 

 

GOOD LUCK!

No comments: