First the Basics: LDN 101

"LDN" (low dose naltrexone) is an "alternative" medication used with surprising success in treating immune disorders, both autoimmune and immune deficient. Taken orally at bedtime, LDN works by briefly blocking opiate receptors, thereby "tricking" the body into increasing endorphin production. Endorphins being a central part of the immune system, increasing their production has been shown to help correct immune defects.

8/21/18

15 Years Post Diagnosis Today...

...and I've been taking no prescription meds for my MS other than LDN since early 2005; that's almost 5,000 days on just LDN.

I had my annual visit with my neurologist a couple of weeks ago and he's still very pleased with my progress (as am I), or rather my lack of (the bad kind of) progress, since many MS patients would have converted to Secondary Progressive MS by now. But I've been fortunate enough to have suffered NO relapses, NO new symptoms, NO worsening of old symptoms, just holding steady.


So basically I KNOW that LDN forking WORKS, at least for me.

I'm still on 9 mg of LDN nightly, taking that larger-than-customary dosage because it also helps my chronic pain, which is important since I can't take opiates. And I'm still getting my LDN from The Compounder Pharmacy in Aurora, Illinois; I chose them more or less at random from a list of pharmacies with a good reputation for compounding LDN correctly, and I've seen no reason to switch.  

I still wish more doctors knew about LDN (and that they had the courage and the brains to prescribe it FIRST instead of last!), but at least these days more doctors know about LDN than  when I started on it, and that's some progress. (The good kind of progress!)


I'm 67 and I was already mostly disabled from a spinal injury since before I ever got MS, and my spinal issues are still worse than MS for me. Of course I realize that I could easily convert to SPMS any day without warning, but I try not to ruin today by worrying about what might happen tomorrow. Today I'm hanging in there, and I'd totally expected to be in vastly worse shape by now, and I'm not....just older.

So, 15 years since my official diagnosis (and I guess I probably had the disease for a year or two  before that), and I'm still RRMS with no Relapses. I don't know what else to say. THANK YOU.


Other than that, it's just crazy hot summertime here in dumbass red Texas, hotter every decade than the last and in a dangerous drought too; it's been over 100 degrees almost every day for several weeks with no relief in sight, so of course I'm pretty much trapped indoors with the air conditioning from about 8:30am until about 10pm. It gets a bit tedious but I'm mostly just really grateful to have a/c; not everyone does.
It should cool off at least a little in another 6 - 8 weeks or so and I cannot wait! I'd head someplace cooler like Vermont (or even Canada!) right now if I had the means, but alas I do not.

But being a Geezer with MS, my best friends (who are all about my age) are all dealing with much more serious health issues than mine, so it really keeps my little issues in perspective...

I hope you're doing well and making your way through the summer (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere). This too shall pass.

Love from Texas~






No comments: